Monday, August 13, 2007

Straight to work...

Well, Stewart made it safely and it's no surprise that he went straight to work! I, on the other hand, was late to work this morning (seventh day in a row).

It's really exciting to read about all of the goals Stewart has set for the next year of his life. My goals for the next year include a ski trip to Canada and trying not to get fired. I've already paid for the ski trip, so I think I'm good on that one.

Like Stewart, I too attended a family celebration over the weekend. A good friend of mine was married Saturday in Birmingham. I almost missed the wedding because I arrived in town a little later than scheduled and the people I rode with didn't know exactly where the church was. We made it though, the wedding was beautiful and Leigh (my friend since 7th grade) looked amazing.



The reception was at a nice little place in the English Village. I can't remember the name of the establishment because I had too much to drink, but I do remember that it was adjacent to a fun little bar named Billy's (That's where we went to drink some more after the reception.).

Since this was a friend of mine from Gadsden (my home town), I had the opportunity to see a lot of people that I haven't seen in a long time. Most of these people were parents of my friends from high school. The conversations were pretty standard.

Parent: "Hey, Jason! It's so good to see you. Boy you've really grown up!" (Which is code for: "Wow you must have put on 25 pounds since the last time I saw you.")


Me: "Thanks, it's really good to see you too! It's been a long time... " (Which is code for: "yeah you've put some weight on too.")

(I Take a sip of beer)


Parent: "So, what are you doing these days?" (Which is code for: "Please tell me you're not still in college!")

Me: "I'm living in Atlanta, working as a Load Planner for Georgia-Pacific"

(I Take a sip of beer)


Parent: "Oh that's great! That's the railroad company, right?"

Me: "No, that's Union-Pacific."

(I Take a sip of beer)


Parent: "Oh that's right, Georgia-Pacific is the power company."

Me: "No, that's Georgia-Power."

(I Take a sip of beer)


Parent: "Well, that's great to hear! I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so well". ( This is code for: " You've drank an entire beer in this three minute conversation, I hope you don't get super drunk and cause a scene")

Me: "Thank you, it was great to see you! If you'll excuse me, I need to use the restroom" ( This is code for: " I just downed this entire beer and now I need another one.... Actually, I think I'm going to switch to liquor....")



Well, that's all for now. I've spent the first hour of my day blogging, so I better do some work if I want to meet that second goal of the year.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.